Wednesday 29 July 2015

Scared Of My Own Expression - “It’s so beautiful, but so painful to be Black”

Scared Of My Own Expression - “It’s so beautiful, but so painful to be Black”

Throughout my life I have been told that I am outgoing and ambitious in my goals for my future. Some how I feel my personality scares people into helping me to proceed from where I am now. 
I have hopes to become a radio presenter and eventually branch out into having my own urban commercial station and doing other media broadcast productions around the world.
Black women are already misjudge for acting “ghetto” when it comes to their expression of needs and I am forced to water down my expression of passion for my future as I am afraid that I may make people feel uncomfortable when I am explaining my goals. When I am surrounded by people who don’t know what to do with their lives, my dreams are ignored and those who are half hearted in their future are given a chance to succeed.

I am frustrated that I am stuck at square one not able to progress in my life because of the colour of my skin, my accomplishments and awards doesn’t qualify me to become successful. Many times I see disappointment on the faces of managers when I am attending job interviews when they realise that I am black with a white first name. I feel like I have deceived them into thinking that I lied in on my CV. 

Many interviews when I am asked to talk about myself they seem surprised and a little intimidated that I want to be successful. The job interview maybe for office admin support or something similar which I have plenty experience over past two and the half years since I have been doing it part time. Somehow society thinks working zero hours for Wembley Stadium without breaks at a kiosk stall fits me better.

I hardly post on here because I am scared what people think of me, I’m trying to learn that I need to grow a thicker skin to overcome this fear that I have developed to proceed to work on radio. Then I am reminded that I am better off to be a music critic than a radio presenter as people would not want to hear my voice or views on the radio or see my face on TV.

Writing this post sounds a lot better in my head than actually reading it. I want to share my thoughts with the world as I know there are others like me feeling the same way. I always tell myself one listener / reader represents one hundred more.

No comments:

Post a Comment